Just one more week until L starts kindergarten! This weekend I attended the AFHE homeschooling convention. I was informed and inspired... and now I'm pumped to start! I am convinced more than ever about our decision to homeschool the kids. I know it will be hard... but I also know it will be worth it.
There is so much I could share from my weekend - how to help protect our children's purity, tips on choosing curriculum, or the importance of reading aloud. But if I had to sum up everything I learned in one phrase, it would be this one from the keynote speaker, Heidi St. John:
Education is discipleship.
Character development is more important than academics. Showing our kids how to trust the Lord, love selflessly, forgive unconditionally, & work hard is far more important than teaching them to read, write, and do math. Yes! This is why we are homeschooling. I am so thankful that I don't have to put my impressionable daughter on a school bus next week while I try to hold back the tears. Instead we get to spend the day together... reading silly stories, creating words with our color coded magnet letters, learning to count and add with Legos, playing outside while we observe nature, and talking about Jesus.
What a privilege it is. Here we go!
A privilege indeed!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI decided to remove this comment because it contained my daughter's name. I still love ya, Joyface!
DeleteWhat fun you are having! What character you are building! What treasures you are storing up inside your children :-)
ReplyDelete