I also wanted to mention a fourth book that I ordered. My first Mother Goose book arrived (Sylvia Long's), and I was a little disappointed. The condition was very good, but I didn't love the content. Many of the rhymes were incomplete, and the character illustrations were strictly animals (no people). Now, my kids are avid Mother Goose fans, and we have read many different versions from the library. They enjoyed the Sylvia Long version as well as any other, but I wanted better. I did a little more research and ordered this book. I have to say, it is the best Mother Goose book I have seen yet! It has 125 rhymes, all quite complete and with no politically correct changes. The pictures are really charming, too. There is at least a small picture for every rhyme, and some are full page. It alternates between full color and black and white illustrations. It doesn't hold M's attention quite as well as some other versions with larger pictures, but he will still sit and listen for awhile. What are some of your favorite children's books? I am always on the hunt.
Thanks for the info, Louisa! I'm looking forward to checking the site out and seeing what treasures I can find. :) Some of my favorite children's books?
ReplyDelete- The Velveteen Rabbit
- The Three Trees
- You Are Special
- A Child's Garden of Verses
- Tales of the Kingdom (Resistance, Restoration)...for older children.