Saturday, October 15, 2011

What We Should Fear

This year my husband and I have been reading through the Bible... following a schedule to finish the whole thing in 52 weeks.  I have never done this before (it is a big commitment!), but it has been awesome. Historically, I have spent way more time reading passages from the New Testament, but I have come to realize how important it is to read the whole Bible in order to get a more complete understanding of who God is.  One thing I have been impressed with is that He is holy... and he deserves our obedience.  I highlighted this passage in my Bible recently...

"Do not call conspiracy
everything that these people call conspiracy;
do not fear what they fear,
and do not dread it.


The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy,
he is the one you are to fear,
he is the one you are to dread."


Isaiah 8:12-23

Fear is something I have struggled with - in big and small ways - my whole life.  So this passage really spoke to me.  There is a lot we could fear in this world... uncertain economic times, violence and threats of war, illness, etc.  But if our faith is in Jesus Christ, we need not fear any of it.  The only thing worth fearing is God Himself.  If you are in rebellion or disobedience to God... then yes, be afraid.  Be very afraid.  But if you have given Him your heart, then fear not.  Worship Him.  Obey Him.  And trust Him.  He never promised that life would be easy... but He has promised never to leave you.  He cares far more about our eternal destiny than our earthly security... and that is a very good thing.

I am choosing to put my hope in Him today.  Are you?

2 comments: