Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Inspiration

It seems fitting to follow up my post about our adoption news with an explanation of where some of our inspiration came from.  I know these heros of mine aren't looking for praise, but I'm going to recognize them anyway.  I have two people in mind.  Both are related to me.  (I have a pretty great family.)  And they are two of my best friends in the world.

First, my sister.  She is an amazing mom to four of the best kids I know.  She educates them all at home and manages her household with grace.  She is a busy mama!  A couple years ago she and her husband said "yes" to an infant girl whom no one wanted.  This baby was born with major physical impairments and was not expected to live more than a few months.  They poured their hearts out in prayer for this baby.  They brought her home to be their daughter.  She died a week later - in their arms.  (I still cry when I think about it.)  Last summer they accepted their first foster child referral.  They now care for a fifth child everyday (who is much more demanding than their own.)  They work hard.  They love him and his family well.  (The judge praised them in court for their excellence.)  Where does this kind of love come from?  Who chooses love when they know it will be followed by pain and loss and difficulty and exhaustion?  Someone whose heart has been transformed by Jesus.  Someone like my sister.

Then there is my sister-in-law.  A single woman who chose not to put her life and service to the Lord on hold just because she didn't have a husband.  A brave and adventurous woman!  It has been almost two years since she became mother to her Ethiopian daughter (one of the spunkiest, most adorable little girls you will ever meet.)  I have never known a more capable woman.  Her will is so strong... yet her heart is so soft.  As if that isn't inspiration enough, she is now waiting to bring home two more African daughters.  (Say WHAT?!)  Yes, you read that right.  This girl is crazy - like Jesus.  I love her!  You can read more about her journey here.

So thank you, sisters, for inspiring me.  My life has been forever changed because of you.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Very true... two very inspirational women indeed! What Jesus can do with the ordinary is, well, simply extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so amazed at how the body of Christ has fullfilled the mandate to take care of the widow and orphan. In these last days I have also seen many familes solve abortion issues or unwanted children by saving lives and then taking them in themselves. Congratulations on your new son!

    ReplyDelete